Updated Look & Feel
We’ve made nearly every aspect of SCRUFF visually consistent with Android Material Design aesthetics for a truly platform-authentic experience:
- All-new icons
- 100% scruffier silhouette for thumbnails of profiles with no photos
- Pro subscribers' UI elements get a special red accent color
One of the emerging uses for SCRUFF is getting recommendations and making friends while traveling. SCRUFF Venture makes connecting before and while you travel easier and more prominent in cities across the world.
In SCRUFF Venture, you will see a traveler-friendly view of activity more than 500+ destinations (with more to come!). Create Trips to announce the cities in which you are currently traveling, or cities you will soon be visiting.
For each destination, we show you:
- Members online in the city right now
- Members visiting now and visiting soon, based on the trips they've created
- Members who have volunteered to be an Ambassador. Ambassadors are members who have pledged to provide friendly advice and recommendations to visitors in their city (we hope you’ll consider volunteering!)
- Events that are coming up and who’s attending
- Airbnb, Homeaway, Mister B&B & VRBO rooms listed by SCRUFF members (if you have one, we hope you’ll consider promoting your listing on SCRUFF!)
SCRUFF Support Now In-App
We hope you have such a great experience that you never need support--but we’re here if you do. You can now submit support requests, and view their status and our agents’ responses without having to leave SCRUFF.
To contact SCRUFF Support:
Tap Menu -> Contact SCRUFF Support
Re-designed & Simplified Grids
With the rise of the Search grid, the Nearby grid now does exactly what it was named for--show you guys nearby. Pro members can optionally toggle a “Online Now Only” view.
Bonus: If you are a Free member, you’ll now get an additional 50 guys in your Nearby grid for completing your profile details. New profile completion help text will help you ensure that you've filled in all of the fields.
Also coming out from behind the menu button are the SCRUFF global grids: Online Now, Most Woof’d (Last Hour), New Guys, Most Woof’d (New Guys).
These grids now have a four-row preview. To view the full grid, tap “More >”.
NEW SEARCH GRID
No longer content to be buried under the top-left “menu button”, Search + Filters have been given their very own grid! To access SCRUFF 5’s powerful search and filter options, tap on the search tab. Note that Favorites have been relocated to the star icon in the top row.
Unread and Recent now have their own full-screen grids, which allows for powerful grid sorting (see below), including up to 1,000 guys for Pro members. The first two rows of each grid are previewed on the Messages grid, and the full grids are accessible by tapping “More >”. In addition:
- Mark All Unread Conversations as Read (Pro) – Moved out of the settings menu and into the top-right corner of the Unread messages full-screen grid. Use with care.
- Delete ALL Conversations (Pro) – If you want to clear your ENTIRE inbox of conversations, both read and unread, Pro subscribers can now do so from the top-right corner of the Recent full-screen grid. Again, use with care.
No More Lists
For a more consistent visual experience, and to allow for powerful grid sorting (see below), all profile list screens have become grids:
- Received Albums / Sent Album Shares
- Woofs / Viewers / Woof’d / Views
- Mutual Matches
- Manage Hides/Blocks
- Event RSVPs
Powerful Grid Sorting (Pro)
Pro subscribers can now sort most of the grids in SCRUFF not only by date, but also by distance and online status. These grids include:
- Unread Messages
- Recent (Read) Messages
- Received Private Albums / Sent Album Shares
- Woofs / Woof’d
- Viewers / Viewed
- Mutual Matches
- Event RSVPs
- SCRUFF Venture city locals, visitors, and ambassadors
Intelligent Profile Grouping in Sortable Grids
To provide additional sort context, profiles in sortable grids (above) are now intelligently grouped by: time since last action (e.g. just now, 1 day ago, 1 week ago), distance (e.g. < 1000 feet, less than 5 miles away, far away), or online status (right now, recently, previously, ever) depending on the sort option chosen.
Profile View Improvements
- Action buttons (Chat, Woof, etc.) have been re-positioned to improve reachability and reduce accidental taps on larger devices.
- Tap and briefly hold woof -or- album action buttons to bypass tedious “Confirm?” message
- “Is a Match” (matchstick) indicator will now appear when profile is a match
- Sex Preferences & Safer-Sex Practice details section added (see below)
- Streamlined profile guideline violation reporting process
- Large photo thumbnail previews (along with a setting to disable large thumbnail previews, when in a less private setting)
- Improved quality of photos sent and received in chat
- Videos can now be up to 5 minutes long and/or up to 80MB large (Pro)
- Video playback area increased (Pro)
- SCRUFF will now warn you before attempting to send video that is too long/large (Pro)
- Pro members' sent messages get special dark-blue tinting
- Blurred profile photo as chat background helps you remember who you're chatting with
- Thumbnail at top of screen helps you remember who you're chatting with, and serves as additional navigation back to the guy’s profile view
- New shortcut to your gallery view for photos & videos received/sent in chat
- Keyboard remembers the language last selected in chat
- When loading previous messages, SCRUFF will now indicate how many messages are in your chat are archived and available to load
- SCRUFF now remembers when you have loaded previous messages and stores them for the length of the session, instead of resetting every time a member leaves the chat screen (Pro)
- Featured events get beautiful new hero image treatment and current RSVP count
- Event details now 100% more sexy
- RSVPing to events can now be done from the event details screen
- RSVP list is a sortable grid (see above)
- Hierarchical event listings (large events with discrete sub-events) now supported
Private Album / Archive Improvements
- New gallery-style album view
- “To Front” and “To Back” controls improve photo reordering within albums
- Album and archive photos now stored at multiple compression levels for use with network-adaptive photo quality adjustments and quality override (Pro) features (see below)
- Sent Album Share access list now much easier to find and use
- Videos can now be up to 5 minutes long and/or up to 80MB large
- SCRUFF will now warn you before attempting to send video that is too long/large
- Video playback area increased (Pro)
- Sending photos in chat from Archive albums now significantly faster
New Profile Fields & Values
SCRUFF 5 offers more ways to express yourself than ever with new fields and field values. Most of these can also be used to zero-in on more of the guys you like using the Search grid:
- Sex Preference (new multi-select field) – Top, Bottom, Versatile, Oral Only, Fetish, No Sex
- Safer-Sex Practices (new multi-select field) – Condoms, PrEP, Treatment as Prevention
- New relationship status – Polyamorous Relationship
- New communities – Queer, Chub, Guy Next Door, Drag, and Bisexual
- New social media links – Instagram and Twitter
- New gaymer profile links - Playstation Network ID, XBox Live ID
New App Preferences & Privacy Settings
- App Preferences & Privacy Settings have been moved out of the profile editor to make it even easier to update your app and privacy preferences.
- Large thumbnails (Phone Only, Pro) – Enable tablet-sized thumbnails on your phone for a 3 thumbnail per row experience
- Network-Adaptive Photo Quality – SCRUFF now stores thumbnail, profile, and Private/Recent/Archive photos at multiple compression levels. When the client detects a WiFi or faster mobile data connection, it will seamlessly switch to using larger, higher quality images. When a slower mobile data connection is detected, SCRUFF will downshift to lower size/quality images to reduce data consumption and improve download performance
- Configurable Thumbnail & Full-size Photo Quality (Pro) – Pro subscribers have the ability to override network-adaptive settings and configure the maximum size of photos used by the client—up to 4x as large (and higher quality) than network-adaptive maximums. Note that the highest settings of this feature can consume significant amounts of mobile data and result in reduced download performance on slower mobile data connections. (But if you are on WiFi, it's totally worth it. :-)
- Travel (Airplane) indicator badge now available to all members (previously Pro-only)
- High Contrast Mode - Allows greater visibility of UI elements for colorblind viewers (and for Pro members who prefer blue vs red UI color treatment)
- Disable Auto-Trip Creation & Travel Icon – SCRUFF will now detect when a member is traveling and, if so, automatically create a trip for that location. It will also add the Travel (Airplane) indicator badge to your online status dot. All members will have the ability to disable this behavior and and set the Travel icon manually
Improved Tablet Experience
SCRUFF 5 automatically downloads higher-quality images on tablets running Android 5.X and higher.
…And the Kitchen Sink
- Every bit of text in the app, from core navigational elements to the most unlikely error message, has been reviewed for clarity and consistency :-)
- Respond to incoming messages directly from push notifications or Android lock screen (coming soon, for devices that support Android Nougat)
- Toggle between logical AND (INTERSECT) and UNION (OR) search logic for multiple selections in “He is”, “He is into”, and Sex Preference Search + Filter fields (Pro)
- Optimized scaling of keyboard and other screen elements for large screen phones
- Streamlined first-run experience
- BenevolAds experience re-designed for Android Material Design
- Improved unread message indicators
- New “Previously” online status (& grey dots) introduced to provide better at-a-glance sense of when a guy was last online
- Improved profile photo upload cropping tool
- Improved resilience to network disruptions
- A pretty Thank You page to everyone who has subscribed to SCRUFF Pro :-)
- And hundreds of other under-the-hood improvements and bug fixes.